Lesson 5

This week you will be introduced to writing about poetry. Pay attention to what you read since you will be held accountable for the concepts in this week’s reading assignment.

Let’s start off the next 4 weeks by thinking and talking about poetry as a verbal, performative medium rather than a “text-driven” medium. Watch this TED talk by poet Sarah Kay.

Paper #1 Revision: You are not required to revise your first paper. However, many of you may want to do so. If I gave you a low grade, I should have provided feedback on how to improve your paper; please contact me if you aren’t clear on this. If you want a higher grade, you must make revisions and improve in the areas I’ve suggested. If your paper is substantially better, then you will receive a better grade.

Please note — while there is a deadline listed for the Paper #1 revision, it’s more flexible than most deadlines. This is because some papers will be graded before others, meaning some people will have more time before the deadline to review my feedback. In general, I’ll accept your revision within one week of when I graded your first draft. If you need more time than that, please let me know.

Lesson 5 Submission Checklist:

• Your revised Paper #1
  • Discussion Question #4 (remember to also paste your discussion post into Word and submit to the assignments tab in Canvas).